Beginning this education program, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I was so right. The semester has just started and it has been a bit challenging already. I am thankful for the challenge because it is preparing me for my future career and life, and life isn't easy. This semester in Education 250 so far has taught me so much. If anyone ever says that teaching is easy, someone needs to show them the NCSCOS (North Carolina Standard Course of Study). I'm sure that they will change their mind quickly. This is one of the many things that I have learned about so far, this also leads to the lesson plan that we have started. I have heard many horror stories about lesson plans but I think it is going okay so far. I have enjoyed trying to figure out activities to do for my 2nd grade science lesson. I have also learned a lot about the subject from finding ways to teach it. Another thing that we have done in class that helped me learn better was the podcast that we listened to while walking around outside. Not only did it get us active, but it helped me to focus. I enjoy listening to podcasts and I really liked this lesson. We have also used a lot of Twitter this semester. By doing this, I have found a lot of my peers who are also doing education on twitter. It helps to see what other people are thinking when going through the same situation as you.
I have tried to do some research outside of the classroom to better my understanding of some of the topics that we have covered. I have done a lot of research for my lesson plan, trying to figure out how to teach it. I have also talked with my mom who works in the school system. She tells me a lot about lesson plans and all the complicated things that she has to do everyday. She tells me the rough stuff but the good things she tells me outweighs those greatly.
I have learned that students do not all learn the same way and at the same pace. I understand that in my future classroom, I will most likely have to make adjustments to my lessons so that all of the students can understand them. I know that this is a skill that all teachers should acquire because there will always be students who learn faster or slower than other students. The NCTCS specifies that teachers should meet the needs of all of their students.
I know that one day, I will have my own classroom. And I know for sure that I will be using all of this information that I have learned so far. I have learned the different styles of teaching by learning through the podcast, the presentations, and the other lessons. I have also learned about the different philosophies that will help me to create my own for my future classroom. I have also learned through the NCTCS how I can be a successful teacher. I look forward to continuing my education this semester and the years to come. There is still a ton left to learn!
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Academic Language
It's hard to believe that it's already a month into the semester! This week we are focused on academic language. This topic can some...
-
Hi everyone! I am excited to begin a new adventure this semester in all new education courses! For this blog, I'm focusing on everything...
-
Wow! Time is flying by this semester! I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say that I am so overwhelmed with everything going on. Taki...
-
A lot of new experiences have happened over the past month, and a lot of those were learning experiences. The month of February has been a l...
I'm really excited to face the challenge ahead of us to meet the needs of all our students. I hadn't realized NCTCS specifically states this, but it rings true! A good teacher is one that teaches to all levels of learning. To me, this is one of the most exciting parts about being a teacher. We get to meet students where they're at in their learning and lead them to a better position! It will be a challenge since every student is a different case, but that's the fun in it! We get to become an expert on every student in our classroom. By the end of the year, we'll know every individual's learning style, their strengths and weaknesses, and what kind of personality they have. And then we get to help grow and develop each of them!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait for us to defeat our challenges and the day we become teachers. I completely agree with you about this class being challenging but the good thing is that this is only going to help us in the long run. My mom works in the school system as well in New York. She tells me everyday how challenging it gets and the kids are only getting worst. Luckily for us, with the grace of God we are going to be great teachers, walking in the door knowing exactly what to do.
ReplyDeleteReally excited to start this journey together! I agree elementary education is going to be such a challenging major but in the end Dr. Parker promises that we will be ready for real life! Coming out of this program I hop to transition into my own classroom without a single bump! As we continue to progress through the class I get more and more excited when Dr. Parker says the words "you future classroom"!! Its right around the corner and I cant wait to have a room full of students calling me "Miss Myrick"!!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to start the journey towards having my own classroom. I agree with you that it is going to be challenging but it will definitely be worth it in the end when we have a class of our own. I feel like by the time we graduate we are all going to be ready to take over our own classroom and will be fully prepared on what we need to do. Whoever said teaching was easy must not be an education major.
ReplyDeleteMelissa, I am glad you have had a good beginning to the semester! Keep your future classroom in your mind as you work to complete class requirements - this mindset will help the work to be meaningful to you. - in future posts, be sure you are specific with each area of the checkbric
ReplyDelete